Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a 5 year old Pom. She has been having several seizures

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old Pom. She has been having several seizures I believe . Our vet did a short blood work heart and liver fine . She is usually been playing stops sits down one leg she pulls in to chest stiff and the other is stiff but out She just lays that way . Trembles very scared . We pick her up hold her and in 5 minutes it's went away . She broke her leg as a puppy and has a plate in one fron leg ??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Olive she is Black and Tan and weighs about 7.8 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Olive?
Customer: Very health reports does snore and seems to have a bit of a allergy issue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
You've described a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mental status and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these events and for just what you witnessed. Olive's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Oive should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Olive suffer another event within 24 hours of another one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?