Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8 year old male dog has been licking his penis, it is very

Customer Question

my 8 year old male dog has been licking his penis, it is very red and he is walking and moving around really slow. He is still eating, drinking and going out to the bathroom. could he have a urinary tract infection?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is he urinating more frequently? 3- Can you post a picture of his penis? 4- How long has he been walking really slow?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This has is the fifth day for the symptoms including moving slow and doesn't seem to be urinating more than normal.
Is he not able to retract the penis back into the prepuce?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't believe he has retracted it since the symptoms started. What would cause him not to be able to retract back into the prepuce.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, what you are seeing is called Paraphimosis, this is an emergency. Right now the swelling of the glans penis does not allow the penis to go back inside the preputial opening. This will cut the circulation off to the tip of the penis with possible irreversible damage requiring amputation of the penis. For this reason I would strongly recommend not waiting and taking him to the nearest veterinarian to try to get his penis back inside. In the meantime, do Not let him lick the penis. Keep the penis lubricated with ky jelly or vaseline. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Echo. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter