Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

1 .4 year old boxer that had an incident where he got out of

Customer Question

1 .4 year old boxer that had an incident where he got out of his crate, ate everything in the trash, so he threw up a few times the next 24 hrs. He had three to four bowels movements, and they seem normal now, what we notice is that he starting a little watering around his mouth and would thro it up a little. his appetite is good
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bucki
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buick?
Customer: we did switch from puppy chow to a new food, seems to love it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did he eat all of this?Do you know what kind of items were in the trash?Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Did you wean him over to the new food or was it a quick change?Any cuts, sores, or swellings in his mouth?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HI Maybe he is a 1 year 4 month old Boxer Ate 3 weeks ago. Food items and paper, nothing toxic that we know of. his gums are nice and pink, moist and sticky. I would have to check his belly but I checked it and it did not have any of those symptoms you describe. I think it was a quick change on the food. No cuts or sores or swellings in his mouth
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh and he eats really fast
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.Now it is good to hear that he is back to normal now and if the trash incident three weeks go then it may be a red herring here (especially if it was just non-toxic foods and paper). Instead, I do suspect that this watering/drooling is being triggered by an underlying nausea. If his diet was quickly changed, that could cause this with disturbance to the good gut microflora; but fast eating (where the food then distends in the stomach to stretch it) could also trigger what we are seeing. With all this in mind, we'd want to start some supportive care. To start, we can plan to divide his current meals into 2-3 parts. Each should be given separately with at least a 30 minute break between them. This will just give his stomach a chance to digest what he eats and avoid stomach stretching to trigger nausea and thus drooling. As well, if he is on a dry diet, we can water it down so that it expands before getting into the stomach and thus reduce that stretch.As well, we can also try treating Bucki with an OTC antacid. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Furthermore, since there has been a lot ongoing with his gut as of late, we'd also want to consider adding an OTC probiotic (ie Fortiflora) to his food. Finally, we could also consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Or there are sensitive stomach foods like Hills I/D or Royal Canin Sensitivity Control. With all of these, we'd also want to again offer this as small frequent meals. Overall, if it has been three weeks, we'd not assume the trash situation is the only cause of what we are seeing. So, we'd want to cover the above bases to address nausea and ensure he isn't his own worst enemy and causing stomach distension induced nausea.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )