Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I give my 12 year old, 80 lb Straffordshire Terrier a

Customer Question

I give my 12 year old, 80 lb Straffordshire Bull Terrier a 600 mg Ibeprofen everyday with a Fish Oil capsule 1000 her the daughter said I should NOT give Ibeprofen to dogs???? your recommendation?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Your daughter is absolutely correct here. Fish oil is no worry but the Ibuprofen is very dangerous for dogs. In fact, it can cause stomach ulcers leading to stomach bleeding and even perforation. As well in high doses, we can also see damage to the kidney and liver. So, you need to listen to your daughter and stop giving this immediately to avoid any risk of harm. As well, since the dose you have been giving is an ulcer risk, you may need to consider covering your lass with an OTC antacid to protect the stomach for at least the next week or so. In regards ***** ***** options, you can use Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Otherwise, if she has sore joints or arthritis, further to the fish oil you can give her OTC glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and treats). There are a range of products on the markets and the ones we typically use for dogs in this situation would be Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with mild signs and can dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. Finally, if she is in a state where she needs an anti-inflammatory, I would strongly advise a check up with her vet. If she is due a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up and have her seen at this stage. Her vet can dispense a dog safe non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Metacam, Rimadyl, and Previcox. Though since she has had Ibuprofen so recently, they may need to use an alternative (ie Tramadol) for at least the short term to give her stomach a chance to heal if any damage has been done before we use any more NSAIDs. Overall, your daughter is absolutely correct here. This is too dangerous to be giving to your dog. She is very lucky she hasn't sustained any of those adverse issues, but we don't want to give any more and tempt fate of her developing one of them when we are trying to help her. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your advice, and I will do as you suggest and buy Glucosamine/Chonroitin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?