Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog cries when I touch the top of hisbrt leg at the shoulder

Customer Question

My dog cries when I touch the top of hisbrt leg at the shoulder area
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Flex 6 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Flex?
Customer: The only other strange behavior is that he is sleeping under my daughters bed to hide ; he always sleeps with me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: How long has he had these signs?Any history or trauma, falls, or slipping?Any swelling in that area?Is he lame on that leg?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He just started with the symptoms overnight. No history of falls. No limping. No visible swelling
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that Flex has become painful so suddenly without any history of injury. With that being less likely, we do have to appreciate that this pain could be related to soft tissue inflammation (including bites from insects or snakes), tissue infection (though usually we will have a preceding wound), or even a mass associated with the bone or a nerve (directly or even a muscle based one compressing the nerve). And just to note the hiding is actually quite a normal sign in dogs that are feeling very vulnerable with their discomfort. So, he is telling us that this is really causing him issue. With all this in mind and that lack of traumatic history, we do need to tread with care. Ideally, we'd want to have him seen for an exam +/- xray at this stage. That way we can pinpoint which issue is present and address it quickly for him. As well, we can get his local vet to start strong pain relief by injection to just get him settled quicker (and of course provide some to continue at home). Overall, Flex's sudden signs are a real concern here. If he had a suspect insect allergic reaction, we could treat that with Benadryl (0.5-2mg per pound every 8 hours). But otherwise those other concerns would be a worry. Therefore, we'd not want to give any weak or dangerous human OTC pain relief in this case and really would want to have this checked to make sure there is nothing sinister that we need to be addressing for him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?