Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is shaking or trembling when sleeping and now while awake.

Customer Question

he is shaking or trembling when sleeping and now while awake. This started about 10:00 pm. he ate normally at 6 pm, had a walk at 8pm, It is now 2:30 am. Just took him out, he did poop. Took his temp, it is 103.4 Can you help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: mugsy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mousy?
Customer: it is mugsy. He is a five year old pug. He has been fine until now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please how can I get an answer faster?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello, please can i chat with someone.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: How long has he been showing these signs?Any breathing changes, coughing, or wheezing? Any other signs?Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
since about 10 pm. No breathing changes really. Maybe a little more rapid, but slightly. Its hard to tell with his belly. he doesn't really like to pick him up, he is a little strange that way. I did pick him up and carry him down stairs. But he went down the deck stairs into the fenced yard and took a poop at 2:30 am. I really don't think there is anything he could have eaten. No bones, no plants inside he can get, no human drugs. He does like to eat some longer grass out side by the fence sometimes, but just sometimes. Did not see him eat any today? There is one other pug and a small mutt dog with him, they are fine.. As of right now I am watching him in his bed while I am on the computer, there is almost no shivering, still some. I am trying not to disturb him since he seems comfortable for now.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He sometimes can get the stuffing out of a toy and tries and eats some of that, but I usually see that. Wether there is evidence of I see him. I have seen nothing today.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Now the dilemma here is that shivering is a non-specific sign that we see with fever (which he has) and when dogs feel generally unwell. So, its not unexpected with his elevated temperature but it isn't a sign that gives us many clues to why he has a fever in the first place. That said, if he has no significant breathing difficulties, tremors/seizures, toxicity risks, or pain; this isn't an emergency situation. He feels unwell but this doesn't warrant panicking nor an ER visit. All we would do with a feverish dog is dim the lights, keep things calm, and let him sleep it off. Once his regular vet is open he can be examined to pinpoint the root of the infection causing his fever and antibiotics +/- dog safe fever reducers can be administered. So, there is nothing you have reported that would suggest we need to rush him to be seen. Only that he has a fever that is making him feel unwell and something that we'd want his regular vet to address once they are open. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay, thank you. So between now and 7am when my vet opens, what would constitute an emergency? Shall I just leave him alone, not trying to take his temp., moving him etc. for as long as he will stay put?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he is about 27 breaths in and out a minute, give or take some shorter or longer ones.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome,That breathing rate is normal, as they tend to be All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. His gums are pink, maybe sticky some, not wet.???
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome,That suggests a but of dehydration, but the pink gums is a good sign.Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay. thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )