Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My Boston Terrier's right eye is looking outward instead of

Customer Question

My Boston Terrier’s right eye is looking outward instead of the normal position. He’s 9 and have never seen it like this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Xeke, male 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Xkcd?
Customer: No, pretty healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Xeke's right eye seems to be looking outward rather than its normal position.Does his eye look like the dogs in the pictures in the links below?:1) If he looks like one of those pictures then his eye isn't truly looking sideways, rather the protective third eyelid is raised. The third eyelid is a thin membranous protective eyelid that normally sits hidden in the nose side corner of the eye.It generally rises in response to some sort of irritation, whether it be a scratch or foreign body in the eye, an infection or an allergic type reaction.Sometimes we see it come up in both eyes in dogs that are very sick systemically, dehydrated or very malnourished. If the pupil were smaller then the other, unaffected left eye, his eye itself looked sunken and smaller compared to his normal eye, and his lid looked droopy then he may have a condition called Horner's Syndrome. This is a nerve problem in that the nerves that control keeping his eye open and the third eyelid down aren't functioning normally. The nerves that control those functions are long, leaving the brain, traveling down the spinal cord into the chest, leaving the spine there, entering the center of his chest and then traveling all the way back up to the head, passing by the ear. Thus there are lots of places where inflammation/pressure on the nerves can occur affecting the nerve function. The most common cause in young otherwise healthy dogs is idiopathic, meaning we don't know why it happens, or this can be related to an ear infection. The second dog pictured has Horner's syndrome. Notice how small his affected eye looks as well as the third eyelid rising. If his eye size looks normal, not drawn back into his head compared to his left other eye, and his lids aren't droopy, and because only one eye is affected I would be suspicious of some sort of trauma (possibly from another pet or plant material?) or a foreign body (grass awn, grass blades) in his affected right eye. Is he rubbing his eye? Any squinting? Either one usually indicates discomfort/pain. Perhaps being a flat faced breed dog he stuck his nose somewhere into plants and scratched his eye or got some plant material in it.If he is feeling fine otherwise there are a couple things that you can try at home. You can purchase all of the things I mention below over the counter at the local drug store.You can start with flushing that eye copiously with sterile saline, that should soothe his eye and hopefully remove any sort of foreign body.Then apply artificial tears every few hours for the next few days to keep his eye cushioned and hydrated.Apply a small amount of Polysporin ointment 3 to 4 times daily to his eye for 4 to 5 days to prevent an infection.I do recommend trying to keep him in a low light setting, at least for the next 24 to 48 hours.If this is a mild scratch then it should start significant healing over the next 48 hours and his third eyelid should regress.If he isn't much better in a couple days, or his eye becomes swollen or really red or he is pawing at it, he should be looked at by his veterinarian to try and diagnose his particular problem. Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.