Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

The gum around one of her canines has swollen up and turned

Customer Question

the gum around one of her canines has swollen up and turned red, it is badly swollen, but she is still eating and even eating ice cubes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lacy and she 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lacy?
Customer: No she is very healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Usually when you see that type of redness and swelling, there is an infection around the tooth and/or under the gums. If the swelling is higher up on the gums, then a tooth root abscess is very likely. Some dogs may get foreign material, such as hair, impacted under the gums as well. Your vet most likely needs to get her on antibiotics and get her in for a dental cleaning. Ideally, they should get an x-ray of the tooth to see if there is an abscess. If so, then it needs to be extracted. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John