Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have Milo who is a 6 year old mutt/terrier mix (23 lbs).

Customer Question

I have Milo who is a 6 year old mutt/terrier mix (23 lbs). He has a history of eating things he shouldn't. I have relatives visiting with small children. Yesterday I found a pull-up diaper ripped up (I didn't know which of my two dogs did it, and I didn't think much about it). Today, there are crystals in Milo's poop. I didn't think anything of it this morning, but this evening it dawned on me that those are probably something to absorb from the pull ups. Do I need to be concerned about this? He seems to be eating and drinking fine, and I've seen him poop twice today. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.
Hello Kim, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Kim, I doubt very much that this will affect Milo in any adverse way, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ... 1. This is a not uncommon event and the good news is that these super-absorbent gel crystals found in diapers are non toxic and inert and should just pass through his digestive tract without problem. 2. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation other than just keeping an eye on him, it is very encouraging that he seems healthy at the moment but some dogs may develop some degree of vomiting and or diarrhoea through eating the contents of used diapers but hopefully he will get away with it. 3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Milo's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me furtherRegards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Milo is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the diaper incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.