Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

MY 3 POUND YORKIE JUST ATE A .5 MG ATIVAN

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.
Hello Julia, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
JUST LET ME KNOW WHAT I NEED TO KNOW. WE ARE IN A SMALL TOWN WHERE THERE IS NO EMERGENCY VET
Typing out your answer now ... Regards, *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is your answer
Hello again Julia, I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Ativan { Lorazepam } belongs to the same class of drug as Valium and in the human is indicated for the management of anxiety disorders. It is not available as a veterinary product but is used successfully in the dog " off Label " by some vets for reducing anxiety regarding fireworks for example. It is regarded as having a high margin of safety in the dog.For the treatment of anxieties a dose rate of 0.1 mg/kg orally twice a day might be used by some vets. [ 1kg = 2.2 pounds ] 2. From the above you can see that 0.5 mg is an overdose for a dog of your one's size. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK 3. If you do not manage to induce vomiting please get back to me and I can advise further.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again, Just checking to see if you managed to induce vomiting OK, please update me ... Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Julia,I am just checking back in to see how your Yorkie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Ativan ingestion ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.