Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 10 year old Glenn of Imaal Terrier in the past couple of

Customer Question

My 10 year old Glenn of Imaal Terrier in the past couple of days is skittish and frightens easily when she goes out in the backyard. Anything that could trigger this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Imaal Terrier?
Customer: Nothing other than she darts around furniture as if she's afraid of it. And is reluctant to go out into the yard. She stays close to the backdoo
JA: Where does the Imaal Terrier seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem hurt at all
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the Imaal Terrier's name?
Customer: Sophie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: She seems to be urinating all lot more in past few days.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about Sophie's skittish behavior outdoors and increased frequency of urination.Is she drinking more water?Is she straining to urinate?Has her appetite changed?Any hesitancy walking around indoors? Does she seem to move slower, stay close to walls, not as active?If you look at her eyes do her pupils (center, black part of the eye surrounded by the colored iris) seem bigger than usual? I can think of a few reasons why you may be behaving the way she is.One is that she is losing her sight and is afraid outside. Indoors where she has her home layout memorized she isn't so afraid. The outdoors can be especially scary for a dog losing her sight due to a constant barrage of different noises, birds and bugs flying around, possibly running into other animals. Also dogs losing their vision due to glaucoma are in pain, and the bright outdoor light makes the pain worse. Of course she wants to avoid that.If she is becoming a diabetic that could explain a more frequent need to urinate, and of course elevated blood sugar levels can affect her vision.If she has a urinary tract infection, or urinary tract calculi (stones), passing urine may be painful, so she may pass a little at a time or feel a constant need to go due to inflammation, and she may associate the outdoors with pain. So she may be trying to hide from her pain/discomfort.Whatever is going on with Sophie she needs to see your family veterinarian. They can run some basic blood tests, check her urine and check her vision and figure out why she is behaving the way she is. If they suspect urinary tract calculi they may want to take abdominal radiographs too.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on Sophie, thank you, ***** *****