Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 8.9kg Bichon Frise poodle ate 100g of Lindt Dark Chocolate

Customer Question

My 8.9kg Bichon Frise poodle ate 100g of Lindt Dark Chocolate Orange Intense (70% cacao). What do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
How long ago did he eat this? You can induce vomiting if it was less than an hour ago, and if you have any fresh (out of date won't work, has to be fresh and fizzy) hydrogen peroxide. Put 1 to 2 teaspoons peroxide in some milk or ice cream; it works best if taken with food. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian .
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
This is a potentially serious dose of chocolate. If you get him to vomit chocolate up, if he got it in the last hour or so, that would be best. Taking him to an emergency clinic for observation, treatment, and inducing vomiting might be best.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
This high a dose can cause seizures, tremors, heart arrythmias, coma.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I entered dark chocolate, 8.9 kg, and 100g into a chocolate calculator, ER treatment is recommended.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure - it was sometime during the night. So I can't be sure if it was ingested in the last hour
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll call my vet as soon as it opens (it is 7.00am in Australia) and take him there.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
How is he acting? I have to be blunt; this much could kill him if he is 8.9 kg and got 100g dark chocolate. Are you sure he got that much? I hope your vet is open soon; I would not even call I would be on the doorstep when they open.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Can I help with or answer anything else? How is he doing? Was my answer helpful?