Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I was on line earlier about my dog Sophie who was coughing

Customer Question

I was on line earlier about my dog Sophie who was coughing up food and phlegm all night. I forgot to mention that I thought I smelled cat liter on her breath. I am concerned that this is clumpable litter and when she drinks could it form a clump that could make her condition more serious. she is a little better now than she was in the night but I am still worried about possible obstruction if it was kitty liter.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. This is not uncommon at all. Ingesting cat litter is common in dogs. I don't get it, but it's like a delicacy to dogs! The good thing, is that the litter typically passes through the gut. It clumps, but that clumping is not solid and it falls apart in the stomach and intestine. The problem, is that it irritates as it moves through. This can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and cramping. In the esophagus and the back of the throat, we can see coughing, gagging and hard swallowing as signs. To help with these signs, you can give a liquid antacid, like Maalox or Mylanta. You can give 1/2 teaspoon 2-3 times daily. This will help settle the stomach and coat the esophagus. The signs should resolve within 24-48 hours. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.