Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 12 yr old Rottweiler who has arthritis in both hind

Customer Question

I have a 12 yr old Rottweiler who has arthritis in both hind legs. When she walks she drags both of her back feet on the concrete especially the right one. Today I noticed one of her toes was bleeding a little and saw that the toenail was worn down to the quick or deeper. I am assuming she is now scraping the nerves in her toenail when walking. I soaked her paw in a warm water with Epsom salt. What else can I do for her? Should I take her to the vet so her foot can be wrapped?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Rottweiler?
Customer: I started giving her previcox about a week ago. Will this help with some of her discomfort?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear that your Rottie is having issues with dragging her rear legs. At this point if you can continue the soaks twice daily and make sure the feet are dry then put a sock on you should be just fine. I would purchase booties for her around the house or on walks to minimize the trauma to the nails and depending on how aggressive you want to be consider physical therapy (PT) to increase use of the back leg with strength exercises. I have a German Shepherd who has the same issue and with PT she is no longer dragging her rear legs to the severity you describe. The nails are shorter but I don't hear the dragging and she does lift them more succinctly now.Minimize the licking with the sock on until you can purchase booties but if the bleeding does not subside, there is swelling or she begins to show signs of pain then I would advise a veterinary examPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today, yes the previcox can definitely aid in relieving her discomfort with those back legs... If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!