Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have an Australian shepherd 5 years of age who as a torn

Customer Question

I have an Australian shepherd 5 years of age who as a torn acl in his left leg needs to get repaired. Was hoping you could direct me to a clinic that has training facilities. that might help us to lesson the cost in this surgery or maybe there is a clinic? that has a more affordable rate that could be recommended to us? please let us know thank you Ken in modesto ca.e-mail***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy t help you with your question. The kind of surgeon you need is really dependent on which surgical procedure you want done to repair that CCL.There are 4 types of surgery that are used and you can find a pdf file here: that will explain it to you.Once you and your vet decide on which type of surgery is requires, recovery time is solely dependent on owner compliance and with the dog itself.Every clinic is going to give you different guidelines, however ours went like this, and keep in mind that in between every step in the process is a trip to the vet for a check up on the surgery site:First 2 weeks after surgery: On-leash only to go outside to potty and then back inside. Can be off-lead in the house, but stairs and jumping on couches, ect. is to be discouraged. If you are unable to limit the dog's movement in the house, confining to a crate is an option.Weeks 3-6: Short walks on leash only. Still no free exercise off leash.Weeks 7-12: Can be off leash while supervised. Stairs and couches are allowed. Should only walk, ect, short distances as to not stress the other three legs.After week 12, its on a dog-by-dog basis. Obviously if the dog is allowed to do too much too quickly, they do risk re-injuring the leg, which will require surgical repair.Of course, it SOUNDS like a long time to keep an active dog quiet...but 3 months really isn't much in the grand scheme of things. It's actually a little easier if you live somewhere that gets cold weather, as winter tends to keep people indoors more, but with determination and patience, it can be done even in warm weather with an active dog.I did a little research and did find a couple clinics with good reputations and high ratings on sites such as Yelp: being said....most veterinary surgeons have performed this type of repair, so you could even start by checking with your own vet to see if they do this procedure.I hope this helps.