Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 10 month old puppy licked shout stain remover that was just

Customer Question

My 10 month old puppy licked shout stain remover that was just sprayed on a cushion. Do I need to be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How much do you think she had?How long ago?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi,I have not heard back from you but want to leave my thoughts in this concerning situation.Now if she only licked what was applied to the fabric, we’d hope that not much of the stain remover made it to the stomach. Still, since these can be caustic and cause blistering/sores/ulcers in the mouth and stomach; we do need to tread with care. Therefore, to start, we’d want to flush her mouth with cool water to remove any residue. Afterwards, we can feed some cow’s milk to help neutralize the stain remover. This can cause a bit of loose stool, but that is a less worry under the circumstances.Further to that, we want to plan to put her onto a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled and help absorb the stain remover.Overall, these stain removers can be quite caustic to the mouth, throat and stomach. Therefore, we’d want to use the above just now. Of course, any drooling, vomiting, changes in the mouth over the next 48 hours, we’d want to have Betty checked by your local vet as she may need gut safe pain relief +/- gastroprotectants to avoid any harm from this. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )