Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Drinked water with Clorox and is not keeping food down

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Clorox can be very toxic to dogs due to the harsh chemicals and can cause chemical burns on the esophagus and stomach, depending on the strength. Since your sweet Chofis cannot keep food down, follow these instructions: Fast Chofis for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Chofis back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take Chofis to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as severe irritation of the tissues of the intestinal tract that will require more intensive treatment.. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chofis. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta