Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Can a dogs nose get stopped up.

Customer Question

Can a dogs nose get stopped up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now as I am sure you can appreciate, when we have dos with congestion of stopped up noses, this can be triggered by a range of causes. Specifically, it can be triggered by issues like allergies, bacterial or viral infections, foreign bodies caught in the nose, fungal infections, some parasites, complications from dental disease (if a tooth root abscess has eroded the bone between the mouth and nose), and we always have to be wary of tumors/masses/polyps causing at least partial obstruction. With this all in mind, if Cheyenne's signs did start suddenly, then there is some supportive care we can try at this stage. Of course, any appearance of snotty discharges and we'd be concerned about bacteria and want her checked by her vet so that antibiotics can be dispensed. (And I would note that if we saw one sided signs, then those foreign body concerns, fungi, and growths would become more of a worry here). In regards ***** ***** care options, to start you can try to reduce any congestion. To do so, you can take Cheyenne in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear any snot congesting her You can also use a baby nebulizer. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make her a little 'steam tent’ with your wee one in a carrier/dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, and then cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room. Furthermore, to flush out the nostrils and reduce irritation within them, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist or Little Noses (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. Afterwards, wipe away any discharge or crust with a damp cotton ball. Finally, if you suspect allergies or if pollen counts are high in your area, you can consider a trial on a low dose of OTC antihistamine. Commonly we use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of her body weight twice daily) to reduce allergy induced inflammation. We like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if she has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet. Overall, Cheyenne's signs do raise some concerns. Therefore, if this just started, we can try the above with her. Though if this has been going on for a while or she doesn't settle with the above, we'd need to think about having her vet check her +/- xray her nose to see what is present so we can clear it for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )