Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My dog has eaten a condom. What should I do

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
How long ago did your dog eat the condom?Is your dog vomiting or having diarrhea?How much does your dog weigh?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Maybe 3 hours ago. No vomit and seems normal. She weighs maybe 10kg
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it a common thing?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
I see. Given that amount of time, it is likely moving along through the GI tract just fine. This is something that happens often, dogs will eat ANYTHING. It is unlikely the condom will cause any problem except maybe some upset stomach as it moves through: maybe vomiting, maybe diarrhea. I suspect it will not cause any problems whatsoever.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
she should be just fine. If she is straining to defecate or vomiting multiple times she should see a vet, however I think that is very unlikely.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So I don't need to do anything more. How long will it take for it to move through? With the dog being so small - will it not effect it? Will it poo it out fine?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
10kg is large enough for things to move. if she was a 2kg dog I might be worried. It will be out sometime in the next 24 hours. You may or may not see it come out unless you are breaking apart each stool. It should just come right out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay. I'm only guessing 10kg. She may only be 6kg. Would that be an issue
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
I don't think it is an issue. She should still move it through just fine.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just Googled average weight for bichon maltese and it said 3 4 kg. So I'd say she is that. I'm sorry. I'm just really worrying
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would we be seeing signs of issues by now?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
I know you are worried. Offer her some food and that will move things through. As long as she didn't eat anything else that was a foreign object, she should be fine.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm pretty sure she only at that
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When it comes out will it be scrunched up and mixed with her poo?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
Assuming she didn't chew it up in multiple pieces, it should come out as a small clump
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have you ever had a dog die from it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will it be visible to see if she's pooed it out ?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
I have never had a dog die from a condom ingestion. It is also very uncommon for a dog to die from most foreign objects eaten, unless they vomit and become very sick and get no medical attention. Most dogs eat stuff and it moves through. Again you will need to dig through the stool if you want to find it as it will be covered in feces.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay. Sorry for repeating myself. Just very worried here
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
That's alright. I know you are worried. I think she is going to be just fine. Make sure she just has no access to any other things to eat.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah I will. Quite embarrassing she got a condom. Disgusting really. I hope she will be OK
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
It happens more than you would think!I wish you both the best. She should be just fine. Have a great day!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks very much
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will the condom come out easily or will it get stuck ?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
I suspect it will come out easily. Unless you dog ate other non food items, it should pass quickly and easily.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
You likely will meed to wait about 24 hours for it to come out.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.