Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Sneezing after went in pool yesterday. Sneezing a lot JA:

Customer Question

Sneezing after went in pool yesterday. Sneezing a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bagel, 10 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bagel?
Customer: The pool was just opened (so may have a lot of chlorine or I guess other chemicals) he was in water for only a few minutes. He is sneezing not coughing
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on his signs and recent pool visit, this sneezing is most likely to be related to chemical irritation to the nasal passage. Of course, we do also have to be wary of brewing airway infections, allergies, polyps, or foreign bodies (ie grass, seeds, etc) if this is a red herring.As long as Bagel is breathing normally and doesn't have snotty nasal discharge (a sign of bacterial infection), we can try to reduce this irritation for him. To start, you can use OTC non medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist) to help clear any irritation. To do this, tilt his head back and drip 2-3 drops down each nostril as needed. This isn't a dog favourite and he will huff these out but they can help clear any lingering pool water based irritant.Otherwise, if you wanted to rule out allergic irritation, you can also consider an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.Overall, it is quite possible that the chemicals from the pool are inducing the signs we are seeing but we do have a few other concerns for Bagel. So, we can try the above to see if we can get him settled. Though if this lingers or he does have snotty discharge, then we'd want to have his local vet check for those other concerns and dispense treatment (ie anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, flush his nose, etc) as needed to settle this for him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. This is very helpful. I think my mind went to scary places like secondary drowning and such. But these sound like very reasonable suggestions and overall he looks good. The sneezing did start immediately after the episode but seems to have increased this AM 18hrs after . But if he is chewing a bone he can go 10 minutes without sneezing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this reassuring ? Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,I am glad I could give you peace of mind here. And I'd not be worried about drowning at all, since they often cough, collapse, and have severe breathing changes. So, we'd just want to monitor and use supportive acre to help him settle. Though if his nasal passages are very irritated, we can have his vet dispense dog safe anti-inflammatories once they are open.Best wishes,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet