Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Is there anything a cardiologist can do to lower the rate of

Customer Question

Is there anything a cardiologist can do to lower the rate of a murmur from 6 to 4 in a dog ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, it is important to understand that a murmur is just a side effect. It is the sound of blood refluxing backwards or leaking in the heart. This can be caused by a range of issues (ie leaky heart valves, birth defects that cause holes in heats, secondary to the heart getting too big etc). The key is what is causing the murmur in the first place. And this is what a cardiologist can diagnose on heart scan. Once they have, they can potentially address the problem. If we have a heart defect like a PDA (a persisting vessel that is supposed to close at birth), they can surgically close this or use a special coil to block the leak which would reduce the murmur greatly if not settle it all together. Or if your dog has a leaky valve, there are medications that can be started to help the heart cope and reduce the murmur. So, in regards ***** ***** question, it does depend which issue the cardiologist finds, but it is possible for them to help reduce a murmur for a dog. To find a cardiologist near you, you can check http://find.vetspecialists.com/ Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think it is possible for a murmur to drop from 6 to 4 in a day ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again, It is possible but how likely it is to do so does depend on which heart issue is present. Still, in regards ***** ***** question, we often hear murmurs be worse when an animal is stressed. As well, if the heart is listened to when a dog is in a different position, it is possible that it will sound different and thus less harsh then initially heard.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet