Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I washed my chihuahua with flea shampoo and got in his eyes

Customer Question

I washed my chihuahua with flea shampoo and got in his eyes now they are closed i rinsed them some he was able to open them for a while then closed them again
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brutty he is 6yrs you mean to emergency room everything is closed now
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: BRUTTY
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bratty?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. In regards ***** ***** question, shampoo can cause irritation and sometimes corneal ulcers for our dogs. Both can be quite sore for them and cause squinting, tearing, and closing of the eyes. In this case, further to your initial rinsing, if he is showing signs again, you may want to flush his eyes further. You can use cool water or eye safe sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution, etc). The latter is ideal since it is a mild eye safe antiseptic which can remove any bacteria while you remove any lingering shampoo.Otherwise, if he continues to close his eyes or the clear corneal cover over the eye becomes hazy/cloudy; then we'd want to have him seen. It is a n urgent issue but often not an emergency one. So, you can choose to wait for his vet to open. Once they do, they can stain the eye to check for ulcers and dispense eye drops to heal any found and soothe his eyes for him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )