Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog cannot poop. When he tries a small amount of liquid

Customer Question

My dog cannot poop. When he tries a small amount of liquid comes out. Is this serious?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oscar about 6.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oscar?
Customer: Can't think of anything except he threw up yesterday.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Oscar eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14years and I'd like to help. Can you tell me, other than the straining to have a bowel movement and only producing the small amounts of liquid, is he acting normally? Is he eating and not vomiting? Does he seem painful in any way (other than the discomfort straining?)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not really eating & vomited yesterday morning. Feeling uncomfortable and unsettled at times. Discomfort while straining.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not his usual self.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello
There are two things that can cause straining and then lead to just some fluid being passed and they are the exact opposite of each other.... the first and most common is colitis. This means causes the colon to be very inflamed so that they feel like they have to go, but there is nothing in there so they strain and only pass some liquid. Most dogs with simple colitis feel fine otherwise so I don't think that is what is going on here. Sometimes colitis is associated with pancreatitis and that can cause vomiting and not eating.The other possibility is constipation. If a dog has been constipated for a while they can become sick with loss of appetites and vomiting. They can strain enough that they push some fluid around the firm stool.
It would take an exam and probably and X-ray to know which is going on here. There is not a lot you can to do give him relief without know which problem he has so ideally I would take him to a veterinarian as soon as you can. The only thing that you can do at home that might help is focus on keeping him hydrated.
Lots of fluid helps with constipation and it is also good if they have colitis or diarrhea. You can offer dilute chicken broth if he will drink it, that may help. However, I would try to get him to a veterinarian as soon as possible. Constipation, in particular can become dangerous if not treated. I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your response. It ìs what I was thinking.
Best wishes!!!