Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog got ahold of the charcoal lighter fluid. I noticed that

Customer Question

My dog got ahold of the charcoal lighter fluid. I noticed that he penetrated thru container, I was able to smell it on his breath.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruce and he was born last nov.
JA: How old is Bruce?
Customer: He was born in November
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruce?
Customer: Not at the moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years or experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Bruce chewed on and punctured a container of charcoal lighter fluid and probably ingested some as his breath smells like lighter fluid.Is he breathing normally?Does he seem at all nauseous?How long ago did this occur?Does he have any underlying health issues I should be aware of?The oil and solvents in this product are an irritant on the stomach and esophageal wall and that can lead to drooling and vomiting. We don't want them to vomit when they've eaten a petroleum/oil based product because it can lead to aspiration of the product which would cause a horrible pneumonia. Never induce vomiting with ingestion of a petroleum product, but of course we cannot help if his body reacts to the irritant by vomiting. I highly recommend flushing his mouth with cool water to remove as much as possible.If he seems nauseous we want to ease his esophageal and gastrointestinal irritation.To try and settle his stomach today you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours. These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe. In a couple hours offer her ice cubes to lick or a small amount of water.If she doesn't vomit then in a few hours feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Feed small meals several times a day.Once he's feeling better then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.If you cannot get her vomiting to stop she will need to see a veterinarian for injectable anti-nausea drugs, fluids, and coating agents like sucralfate to ease her gastrointestinal burning.If he seems to feel fine tonight, with no evidence of nausea, then you just need need to watch him over the next couple of days for any changes in breathing character or rate, coughing or fever, which could indicate developing pneumonia. He should be seen promptly by his veterinarian if those symptoms occur.In many cases of big dogs ingesting very small amounts we don't see any symptoms at all, and they remain just fine.Let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara