Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is old and his cancer is back. Up until yesterday

Customer Question

Hi. My dog is old and his cancer is back. Up until yesterday he was eating drinking chasing squirrels (slowly) today he is vomiting food from yesterday and collapsing . When he vomits he seems to be straining enough to stand on his nails and falls afterwards.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't think so. Yesterday was a more active day than recently. We've known the last few weeks he is probably in his last phase of life. He just threw up again. Mainly liquid slightly brownish with some white mucous maybe
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: The Fox. He is probably 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about The Fox?
Customer: He had a thymoma a few years ago. His blood work and urinalysis showed elevated calcium and he has muscular atrophy in the shoulders that had been creeping up all year. This is why we think his cancer is back.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Is it the thymoma that is suspected to be back?Can he keep water down?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Has he had any diarrhea?