Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

I have Yorke who is 16y/o. Sheven is in Christian JA: I'll

Customer Question

I have Yorke who is 16y/o. Sheven is in Christian
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Ooops. My York is is in kidney failure. Almost ready to put her down, but can't seem
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Do it yet. Today she has developed swollen front paws. Back paws to just not as bad. What can I do for her? My vet is out till Monday ?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No. Her name is sabrina
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help. I'm sorry to hear about your boy!With her kidney disease, there is nothing that you can safely give her in terms of medication. But you could try a few things to see if it gives her some relief. you can soak her front paws in some warm epsom salts and water for about 5 minutes then pat them dry.... if it is not painful to her I would gently massage them to try to improve circulation while you are drying them. If the swelling is fluid in the tissues then the epsom salts can help draw that out. If it helps then you can repeat this every 8 hours. If it doesn't seem to help then the swelling may not be due to fluid, but to inflammation. If that is the case then applying a cold compress may help. It is hard without seeing them to know what is causing the swelling, but I would try the epsom salt first and see if that helps. If you have more questions please let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy