Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 10 month old Shepard just ate a rat that was poisoned by

Customer Question

My 10 month old Shepard just ate a rat that was poisoned by the Green Block. Is a vet visit necessary right now?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the rat ate?
Customer: Green block rat poison.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the rat?
Customer: Such as?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
The green blocks contain either bromethalin or an anticoagulant rodenticide such as bromifacoum While little of either is necessary to kill a rat (who didn't have to ingest very much of those poisons), a considerable amount needs to be ingested by a 10 month old Shepherd for such a dog to become intoxicated. I don't see the need for a vet visit but I would like to see if you can get your dog to vomit up the rat by dosing your dog with 45 mL of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.See if you can find out which of the rodenticides was in that block, please.