Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He can not walk and his rear end just falls down JA: I'm

Customer Question

He can not walk and his rear end just falls down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes no blood or any thing in his paws
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do.
Customer: Ok
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Titan he is 8 years old a black lab about 125 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Titan?
Customer: Not that I know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. This sounds neurologic to me. There are a few things it could be, a disc herniation, a clot or FCE (fibro-cartilagenous embolism), a spinal cord tumor or a cyst on the spinal cord. It's tough to know for sure, as we need advanced imaging to see the spinal cord. An MRI or CT is needed to visualize the spinal canal and determine what is going on. If you can, I would get a good neurologic exam to make sure it's a neuro issue, and then go to a neurologist to get the MRI performed. If it's a compressive lesion on the spinal cord, then surgery is needed to remove the compression. If it's a stroke/ clot or bruise to the cord, then we just do pain meds and physical therapy. If this is orthopedic and torn ACL's in the knees, then we don't need advanced imaging. In that case, surgery to stabilize the knees is needed. Obviously this could go a number of ways. The first step is a good neuro an orthopedic exam. From there, we can narrow down the list and start treatment planning. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?