Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We think she killed and ate a blackbird. acting kinda slugish

Customer Question

we think she killed and ate a blackbird. acting kinda slugish now and a little sensitive whn picjed up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: mystery 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mystery?
Customer: she is a dapple doxie
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Since there is no digestive issue that Mystery is showing, there is a chance that she may have injured a disc in her back causing this lethargy and pain when picked up. This is very common in dachsunds because of their conformation. This can happen when Mystery jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way while catching the bird. The best thing you can do for now as long as Mystery is eating well now, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Mystery to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****