Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Excessive drinking and urination days, last night vomited,

Customer Question

Excessive drinking and urination for 3 days, last night vomited, also first thing in the morning he vomited bright yellow vomit, he ate only a little food this morning, ate a small amount of grass, and vomited the food/grass up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Logan. He is 11 years old, a goldendoodle, weighing 93 lbs. He got off meloxicam about 10 days ago because he had slightly high numbers on his liver test. Also, his vet is out of town until Tues, so I am trying to figure out just how urgent his situation is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Logan?
Customer: He is generally in good health, except for some arthritic pain, for which he had been taking the meloxicam and 400mg twice a day of gabapentin. I decreased the gabapentin to 300 mg twice a day because if the urination is because of a kidney issue, the gabapentin dose should be as low as possible
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm concerned about polydipsia and polyuria (increased thirst and increased volume of urine) arising. These are danger signs for both hepatic and renal insufficiency which can result from nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) administration but are also seen in increasing frequency with age. I would have Logan's biochemical testing repeated today rather than wait for his regular vet to return. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There are no vets available in my area today (I called 3 different offices). My only option is an emergency vet center that does not have the best reputation. So I have turned to this website to try to get a sense of how urgently Logan needs to go in for treatment today, vs. on Monday, when one of the local vets might be able to see him.
I understand. Unfortunately, I would need to assess biochemical markers referable to his liver and kidneys (ALT, AP and BUN, creatinine, respectively) to be able to tell you how urgent Logan's current presentation is. My gut feeling is that it is urgent. Polydipsia, polyuria, vomiting, and inappetence are danger signs that shouldn't be "watchful waited" for more than 24 hours. Please continue our conversation if you wish.