Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog is a golden lab mix, he has been very lethargic the

Customer Question

my dog is a golden lab mix, he has been very lethargic the last couple of days, he is eating and going to the bathroom. I rubbed his hips and he whined. I can not get into seeing our vet until Friday 5/20 is there something I can do for him until then?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. There is a good chance that Toby has arthritis in his hips or the vertebrae near his hips that has been aggravated by some movement that he has done. This is common in this breed when they get older. The best treatment for him for now is aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs and a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin , available at the pet store. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing sweet Toby's pain and give lubrication to his joints to decrease pain. If this is effective, continue with the daily supplement and give the aspirin when he has bad days like you are seeing now. If this does not help, your vet will have to examine Toby to see if we have missed something. In most cases such as Toby's, this treatment is very effective. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Jim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta