Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

I have a that whelped two days ago and I believe

Customer Question

Hi - I have a bitch that whelped two days ago and I believe she is running a temp. 104+. what antibiotic could I give her??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Vivid - 3 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Vivid?
Customer: No - Good pregnancy - delivered 9 healthy puppies - been taking care of them superbly...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It is hard to know whether to give antibiotics and if so, which because we do not know where this infection is coming from. It is also risky to give antibiotics at this point because this does come through in the milk and has the probability of damaging the puppies bacterial growth in their digestive tract that is very important. This increase in temperature may be due to Vivid's stress and since she is acting normal, eating well, I would, at this point hesitate to place her on antibiotics. If you see any odd discharge coming form her vulva that appears puslike, then I would be concerned or there is an infected mammary gland, then this would require the antibiotic such as Amoxicillin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. Hold off for now and have your vet examine Vivid to be sure that antibiotics are required considering the risk to the puppies. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****