Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I found a very small piece of clotted blood outsidemy dog's

Customer Question

I found a very small piece of clotted blood outsidemy dog's rectum....stools not bloody, solid, well formed. He is eating and acting perfectly normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chance, at least 10 years...he was found and no one knew his age
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chance?
Customer: No, he is eating well, good appetite, drinking and acting normal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. As long as he is well in himself, has no rectal discomfort, and his gums are pink (not pale/white), we'd not be overly worried here. It is quite possible that this clot was from a bit of colonic or anal gland irritation. So, we need only monitor at this stage. As long as we don't have an ongoing issue (ie anal gland infection, whipworm infection, colitis, ulcerated rectal polyp/mass, etc); then we'd not expect to see any more. Of course, if we did see any more blood material, we'd want to consider worming him, starting a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, cottage cheese or scrambled egg), and having his vet examine him (as well as do a rectal exam) to make sure there is nothing more we need to address for Chance. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )