Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8 week old Pomeranian ate a ortho rat poison pelet 0.42

Customer Question

My 8 week old Pomeranian ate a ortho rat poison pelet 0.42 oz (12grms)
What do I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. How long ago?How much does he weigh?Active ingredient?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
About a hour ago
3-5 lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am sure you can appreciate, rat bait ingestion in any dose is a real worry. The majority of rat baits will block an animal's ability to clot their blood leading to small bleeds (which we all experience day to day without even knowing) being fatal. As well, a few of the rat baits can also cause neurological signs and seizures. In this situation, we need to be proactive and work quickly. Since an hour has passed we can try to reduce exposure but will need to follow up with her vet for further treatment to block those adverse signs. First, we can still induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.Afterwards, you can also consider administering activated charcoal to bind anything she doesn't bring up. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. Finally, we would want to have the local vet involved as we will need to treat to counter what Killer has already absorbed. If it is an anticoagulant based one, we need her on Vitamin K1 by injection and then will need to treat with it orally for a few weeks to keep her clotting her blood. Otherwise, if the less common neurological sign inducing bait was eaten, she will need fluids and symptomatic care to flush this from her body and limit adverse effects from this and get her through this without harm. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ orwww.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She vonit a lot of foam. Is that what she should be doing
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi again,She should be vomiting with the above but we want to be seeing that rat bait coming out. If we aren't, absorption already is a major worry and I would really consider having her seen now so that Vitamin K and supportive care can be started to be safe.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )