How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16263
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a black Lab who is 13 years old. He ate a small box

Customer Question

I have a black Lab who is 13 years old. He ate a small box of raisins and she is not acting right. She did throw up many times but now she is just laying. Waiting for the vet ti open at 8:00 AM
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did she eat the raisins?Did she bring them back up?Is she drinking more? Passing watery urine?Are her gums sticky or moist?Any belly discomfort if you press there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,I have not heard back from you yet but am quite worried for Raven.Raisins can be terribly toxic for dogs causing GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea), lethargy, excessive thirst/urination, and even kidney failure. The dilemma with raisins is that the actual toxin and dose level that causes harm are not really known. This means a dog can suffer serious adverse signs even with small doses of raisins. In this case, I would be concerned that the raisins may be causing Raven's currently lethargy but it could also be secondary to all the vomiting she has just done. So, we need to tread with care and want her to her vets as soon as they are open. In the meantime and just in case you don't think she brought them all up, you could follow that vomiting by treating with activated charcoal available from the pharmacy to bind any remaining material in her stomach. Do ask for the extra strength (grams not milligrams version). For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound is given every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food or water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). It works to bind the non-absorbed material and can limit the dose she has had.Otherwise, I would suggest treating her for stomach upset post ingestion and vomiting, To do so, you can start her on an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. If she appears more settled afterwards, you can plan to offer a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). This can be fed as small, frequent meals and should just keep any risk of stomach upset at a minimum. Overall, this type of ingestion is very dangerous for dogs. Therefore, we need to tread with care. So, you are right to have her seen as soon as possible but can use the above in the meantime to try to reduce harm and settle her stomach. Once her vet can see her, we may need them to start IV fluids to flush out the toxin and limit harm. As well, they can monitor her kidney function and provide supportive care as needed to help her overcome this as safely as possible.Just in case there is an ER vet nearby, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ orwww.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Raven. How is everything going?

nekovet