Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog seems very sad and weak. He is not walking. We tried

Customer Question

My dog seems very sad and weak. He is not walking. We tried making him walk but he just stood up but didn't move. I did notice slight blood on his ears . I think it must of been flies biting on him. But what concerned me is that he had his jaw locked and he is also drooling. I tried opening his mouth to see what is going on but it got him mad. I also tried feeding him but he would look away. Also tried making him drive k water but same reaction as tried to give him food he would look away. His nose is dry so I feel he doesn't have enough water in his system.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He locks his jaw and is drooling I haven't seen him open his mouth. And it seems like he's having trouble breathing. A little bit sounds like a dry stuffy nose.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. You did not say how old your guy is but if he is older, I would worry about a possible infection inside of his mouth that is causing him so much pain that he will not move or eat. This could be a tumor or foreign body and it is important that your vet examine him to determine what is causing this serious distress. This excessive salivation with a locked jaw could be a serious disease or mass inside his mouth so take him ASAP to the ER vet for an exam....I worry about things such as Rabies, very rare of course or tetanus which is also rare but very serious. Hopefully this is something simple but without the exam and testing, I cannot tell you what to do for your sweet guy.... Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****