Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

5 year old pitbull had neutering afterwards his penis is blue

Customer Question

5 year old pitbull had neutering afterwards his penis is blue and purple and red he has a bladder infection also and extreme pain Tramadol is not enough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: White boy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about White?
Customer: He was neutered because of severely swollen scrotum about the size of an orange turning black
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The new dosing guidelines for tramadol are 2-5 mg/lb up to every 8 hours. I would see how a higher dose affects White Boy. Was his scrotum ablated (removed) along with his testicles?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Scrotum and testicles were removed now the penis sheath is all swollen and red and purple and he also had a bladder infection before he got there he's on amoxicillin 250 milligrams every 12 hours and rimadyl 10. milligrams every 12 hours Toradol 100 milligrams every 12 hours I'm worried about the swelling in the penis sheath imparing his ability to urinate. Is the swelling in the penis sheath and the blue and purple color normal
Thank you for the additional information. The swelling shouldn't involve his urethra and so I don't expect his having difficulty urinating. His prepucial swelling and bruising (blue/purple) aren't normal and so I expect that his surgery was either traumatic or excessive bleeding was encountered. His surgeon should be consulted as that vet would know better than I what was encountered at the time of surgery. Please clarify "Toradol". Rimadyl + tramadol is a good combination. Rimadyl + Toradol would be contraindicated because two NSAIDs dosed concomitantly risks gastrointestinal ulceration.