Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Can I give my dog an anti-gas or laxative?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help.So, a distended abdomen in a dog is not very likely to because by intestinal bloat or constipation. And in the rare cases that a distended belly is due to intestinal gas or constipation it doesn't lead to labored breathing or any real increase in breathing rate. Abdominal distention can be caused by 'bloat' and torsion of the stomach, but this happens very quickly. If the distention occurs over a week or so, it is usually it is from fluid in the abdomen. Often dogs that have fluid in their abdomen also develop fluid around their lungs. This causes labored breathing. Fluid in the abdomen can be from a number of causes, but once it gets to the point of increasing the breathing rate it needs to be addressed ASAP. Often the fluid needs to be drained right away to prevent them from getting worse.I would really recommend seeing a veterinarian ASAP. They can get an X-ray to see if there really is fluid around the lungs and address the issue from there. I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know. IF not, please rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rj. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy