Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 3 yr old cavalier is not eating, very lethargic.WBC 47.39.MON

Customer Question

my 3 yr old cavalier is not eating, very lethargic.WBC 47.39.MON 4,05,NEU 38.24,EOS 1.32. I want to know how serious this is? X-ray was good. MCH and MCHC very high also. will drink water but wont eat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Can you upload a copy of all of Charlie's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Charlie's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/That's quite an elevated white blood cell count which usually indicates inflammation (not necessarily the inflammation associated with infection). The elevated MCH and MCHC are more important to look at when anemia is present.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are having to force feed him along with his medicine. Here is the samples results. Thank you
Thank you! Charlie's ALT (one of the liver enzymes) and total bilirubin are elevated suggesting damage to his liver. His BUN (which is produced by the liver) is decreased suggesting a poorly functioning liver. His platelet count is decreased and needs to be checked by a hand count (because machines often underestimate the platelet count). His liver needs to be looked at more closely and that's done by ultrasounding it and needle biopsying it under ultrasound guidance. A complete urinalysis needs to be performed along with these blood tests if only because leptospirosis needs to be considered in these patients and that infection can also affect his kidneys. There are many infectious agents to consider, however, including other bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, and tick-borne diseases (which can also lower the platelet count). Testing for these tick-borne diseases should be considered if you live where ticks are a problem.Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?