Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She has black tarry stools and rubs her all the time.

Customer Question

She has black tarry stools and rubs her butt all the time. She seems to have allergies and chews her feet. I took her to the vet and they put her on benedryl. Chewy on feet is better, but butt rubbing is the same.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Petunia and she is suppose to be about 2 yrs. old We adopted her about 3 months ago from a shelter.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Petunia?
Customer: Her fur doesn't quite seem to be thick enoug. A little bare in spots. She is a black mouth cur.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.
HI, this is Dr. Gabby. Allergies can also cause rectal itching. So that could be the cause. They can be allergic to things in the environment which is called atopy.They can also have food allergies or be allergic to flea saliva.She could be allergic to multiple things too.What do you feed her for food and treats?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
WHY DOES SHE HAVE BLACK TARRY STOOLS????????????????????
What do you feed her?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She eats Victor dog food. A very good food!!
Did the vet do a fecal test? Are the stools normal, loose, watery, or dry?