Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

CAN i GIVE AN ENEMA TO A GREAT DANE JA: I'll do all I can

Customer Question

CAN i GIVE AN ENEMA TO A GREAT DANE
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: HE HASNT POOPED IN 3 DAYS AND HIS STOMACHE IS BLOADED WHEN HE SITS ON THE GRASS THERE IS A LITTLE SMUDGE BUT NOTHING IS COMING OUT
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: hE DOESNT HE IS JUST REALLY BLOADED IN THE STOMACHE
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: NO BUT HE IS 13 YEARS OLD
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: NO NOT THE LAST FEW DAYS
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Diesel.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diesel?
Customer: No otherwise he is just old but has not had any of these types of problems. The last year sometimes he will poop in his sleep
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. I'm going to be very honest here and say that I'm much more concerned with him at this time. I've seen constipated dogs, but they aren't that common. Typically those that are constipated are smaller breeds. They will a lot of times have posturing to go and not getting anything out. Very, very rarely do they look bloated in the stomach. The fact that he's not eating, that he's looking bloated, and his age - I would be concerned that the enlarged abdomen could be due to fluid or a mass inside of his abdomen. He really should be evaluated by your veterinarian to see what the underlying cause is. I wouldn't recommend doing any kind of enema at home as the chances of anything like that helping him are extremely small. The other reality is that an enema can cause harm / pain if done by someone that isn't experienced.
Hi Cheri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?