Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She is 8 years old she weighs 72 lobs..she is just as lively....eating

Customer Question

She is 8 years old she weighs 72 lobs..she is just as lively....eating good drinks her water ..I walk her about a mile a day..but I noticed blood or her urine is red looking..I have been giving her benedryl and acidophilus daily as ashe had a skin condtion a few months back....she does not appear to be unhappy or sick???What is this???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: i will look. wound
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this.
Customer: no ticks....I spray her and myself daily before we walk with listerene because of the mosquitoes here in Richmond rv park
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kobe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kobe?
Customer: She has been to vet here a couple time for her skin and yeast ...but thats all clear know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
The presence of hematuria (blood in the urine) is usually due to a bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) in our dogs. Supportive evidence of a UTI includes stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine), urinary incontinence, and excessive licking of the genitals. Increased thirst (polyuria) may arise if the infection involves the kidneys. Less commonly, urinary calculi (stones) or neoplasia (transitional cell carcinoma) is present. Kobe's vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of Kobe's bladder through her abdominal wall - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine - and then perform a complete urinalysis. The finding of bacteria or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells supports the diagnosis of UTI. If found, a UTI is usually addressed with 10-14 days of a broad spectrum antibiotic and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of therapy is completed to make sure that the urinary tract has been sterilized. Kobe's vet may recommend culturing the urine instead which can determine the very best antibiotic to prescribe.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?