Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

We have 2 dogs of different breeds, ages 3 and 6. They are

Customer Question

We have 2 dogs of different breeds, ages 3 and 6. They are on completely different diets and both a healthy. Recent blood test for SDMA were abnormal.
Dog 1 – 17
Dog 2 – 16
With such a difference in the dog breeds, diet and age the results of the SDMA test seem inconsistent.
Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I understand your concerns. Please note that the SDMA is unaffected by diet or muscle mass unlike the creatinine and a 16-17 ug/dL might be considered high normal. (Over 14 ug/dL may be abnormal/a "grey" area.) (Breed impact: It appears that there isn't any, however, creatinine reference intervals are established on a population basis. Greyhounds and Great Pyrenees are the two breeds whose creatinine concentrations are higher than other breeds and often fall above the reference interval while their SDMA concentrations remain normal. Additional studies evaluating SDMA in greyhounds are underway.) If additional testing (urine specific gravity, degree of proteinuria/loss of protein through the kidneys, imaging) revealed nothing untoward, I would simply recheck the SDMA in 6 months. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Most of this info I was aware of. Seems the test is so new not enough data is available, We are working on the urine test (collection). Your response of retesting in 6 months is noted. Same question to customer support of testing lab referred me back to our vet. Possibly after the urine test I may add a question and would rather pay balance when I have all the answers possible. Thanks.
Correct. I expect modification of the reference values as more information is gathered. You're welcome to return to our conversation at your convenience. Please bookmark this page for ease of return.