Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My little dog (12 lbs.) has a coughing and wizzing problem.

Customer Question

My little dog (12 lbs.) has a coughing and wizzing problem. I think she needs antibotics. Can I get thin without taking her to local vet that will cost me a big price?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. Friend, unfortunately in order to write a prescription for antibiotics by law the patient (Pepper) must be examined by the veterinarian writing the prescription. So, you will not be able to get the antibiotics without a vet examination first. I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. Plus, it would be good to have a vet listen to her lungs and heart as a cough and wheezing can sometimes be an indication of an underlying heart disease, important to rule this out. In the meantime you can start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy for humans. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.