Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He just swallowed my daughters Adderall pill JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

He just swallowed my daughters Adderall pill
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Todd and he has a six-month-old golden doodle and he weighs 60 pounds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Todd?
Customer: It was a 25 mg tab
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
About 15 min ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,Just give me a moment and I will type out a treatment plan for you.Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,First, considering the dose he had and his weight this is thankfully a 0.7mg/kg dose. At this level, we tend to just see mild adverse signs like agitation, hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, panting, and muscle tremors. (As opposed to changes in heart rhythm and seizures with the higher doses). Still, if Todd did just have this, it would be ideal to err on the side of caution and avoid any issue for him. To do so, it would be ideal to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues. As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. Finally, after the above, we do want to try to keep him calm and not overly stimulated. So, we'd want to take it easy, keep the lights low, and house quiet for 24 hours. This will just reduce any risk of seizures if he does manage to absorb any of the drug or is quite sensitive to it. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )