Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

A shelter had the dog we are adopting spayed and they gave

Customer Question

A shelter had the dog we are adopting spayed and they gave no pain meds. Should she have had some and what can I do for her if so as it is late here and nothing is open. Any natural remedies or substitutes?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Penny and 5 months about
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?
Customer: She is about 23 lbs. Bernese mountain collie x
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, dispensing pain relief after a spay does still tend to be variable in veterinary medicine. It is something I do for all my patients (since it is an invasive operation and humans would require pain relief should they have the same procedure), but some vets will just treat with one 24 hour injectable dose at the time of the surgery and not send pain relief home. So, there isn't a definitive stance but if Penny is sore, you will need to ring her vet for treatment once they are open.In the meantime though, she should have some pain relief already on board as I noted and with that we cannot safely start giving OTC medications (not to mention most human anti-inflammatories are dog toxic and Aspirin or Slippery Elm wouldn't be advisable since blood thinners are dangerous after surgery). Instead, all we could really do is consider warm compressing the sore area +/- giving Omega 3 fish oils (20mg per pound) though those are more effective for long term discomforts. So, if she is very sore and likely had an injectable anti-inflammatory at her vet, we'd need to ring the local ER vet about safe and strong alternatives (ie Tramadol, Buprenorphine, etc) to get her through the night until her vet can dispense dog safe anti-inflammatories to continue for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?