Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just ate a herbal tea bag. Caffeine free. He is a

Customer Question

Hi my dog just ate a herbal tea bag. Caffeine free. He is a 90 pound German shepherd. Ingredients wild cherry bark, licorice root, fennel seed, cinnamon bark , orange peel , slippery elm bark , cardamom pod, ginger root, mullein leaf clove bud black pepper. It was used in a mug and he took it out and ate it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Fletcher
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fletcher?
Customer: No he is healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now most of the contents of this tea bag won’t case Fletcher any harm. Though the possible effects of slippery elm is something we need to monitor for. The reason is because it is actually related to Aspirin and therefore can cause GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, and stomach ulcers in very high doses). Though if he is 90lbs, the chance of this dose causing him bother is low. With this in mind, while we could induce vomiting or treat with activated charcoal, we don't necessarily need to do so here. Instead, we can choose to monitor and offset any GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.