Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our shi tzu is acting really strange. She is seven years old

Customer Question

Our shi tzu is acting really strange. She is seven years old and has been grinding her jaw for over twenty minutes tonight. She's been begging for food nonstop for a couple of weeks even after we feed her. She makes a clicking sound with her jaw and is very upset.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is also passing gas. We've got her calmed down but the minute we try to leave the room she gets upset and starts grinding her jaw again. I am worried and at a loss.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's been quite awhile and she is still doing it. I don’t know what to give her. Vet told me she could take aspirin for any possible inflammation so we've given her that (small dose) just in case plus the amoxicillan we have on hand for infection, same dose prescribed for her last time by vet here.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. In regards ***** ***** question, I share your concern about her teeth grinding. Especially since in dogs it is a sign of pain. They can do it if their mouths hurt (ie dental disease, tooth root abscess, oral ulcers, etc) but also if they have pain anywhere else in the body. And if she has gas, its quite possible that this is distending her gut causing a bit of uncomfortable colic.Now it is true that we can give Aspirin to dogs on some occasions. Though if there is possible gut upset here, it is best avoided since it can worsen that for her. As well, Amoxicillin wouldn't be appropriate here. Instead, to counter any gas based issues or gut upset, I would suggest considering giving her a low dose of Gas-X (simethicone). This can be given to your lass at a dose of 1-2 mg per pound of her body weight up to every 8 hours. As well, activated charcoal can also be of benefit as well. And if her gut has been generally unsettled, we could plan to follow this an OTC dog specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Protexin enterogenic, etc). These can often be purchased at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon.Finally, if she continues to show this pain sign, then we'd want to plan to have her seen by her vet when they are open. They can determine the root source of her discomfort and based on that they can address it and dispense a dog and gut safe pain relief as needed to get her settled. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tried to look at her mouth but it seems to upset her and she struggles against it. I will try the gas x and let you know. Thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome,It can be tricky, since often they don't like us doing so at the best of times. Though see if tackling GI upset/gas gets her settled. And if the signs linger, we may need her vet to have a good thorough check of her mouth (and feel of her gut too while they are seeing) to make sure there is nothing more we need to address for her.Best wishes for you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do. Out of curiosity, if she had a mouth /teeth infection or something would amoxicillan be used? Or cephalexin? What would a safe dosage be? She is 12 pounds. Should the gas x work obviously we wouldn't use anything else, but I'm worried about an abscess in the mouth too.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,It is a concern with her signs, though usually we do have a hint of swelling or soreness along the muzzle or jaw if an abscess is present. In any case, if there was an infection, one could potentially use Amoxicillin but Clindamycin would be better for that type of infection. Though it is worth confirming before treating since both the antibiotics you mentioned can cause stomach upset as a side effect (which is best avoided at this stage). Otherwise and more a concern really would be whether we have a rotten/painful tooth in the abscess of a swelling and that would need to be removed if present.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Much appreciated. We are getting gas x at the store now and will give that to her shortly.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.That sounds like good plan of action.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!:)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The gas x has helped, although she is still smacking and licking a lot. She hasn't gone #2 since Wednesday but we're watching her closely. Just gave second dosage of the gas x. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, I'm glad to hear it helped. Though you have noted some new signs you didn't mention before. The lip licking is a nausea sign and if she is eating but not passing stool, we may have constipation or a gut blockage. And I would not that either of those can cause gas build up and nausea. So these would be additional concerns. And if it has been brewing since Wednesday, I would suggest having her seen. Her vet can rule out these concerns or address either of found. You could if course try giving her cat hair ball medication to try to get things moving +/- an antacid ( ie Pepcid, Zantac, etc) to soothe her nausea. But considering all her signs together, we do have some new concerns and with the weekend near we' d want to make sure we settle this before it does arrive.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!:)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you! Our vet is out of town until next week, but we're planning on going in Wednesday. Have to keep things going on our own until then, unfortunately. She's settled down a lot more after the second dose today, thankfully, and no vomiting. Still hopeful for #2.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are welcome,I am glad she is, though do try her with a dose of cat hairball treatment at her meals to see if we can help that along.All the best,Dr. B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Schmoopie. How is everything going?

nekovet