Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is 10 wow overweight but the last few months noticed

Customer Question

my dog is 10 wow overweight but the last few months noticed she is panting bad not loosing her winter hair and so thirsty groans alot when getting up and down, this dog saved my daughters life about 7 years ago my daughter fell in a sink hole dog pulled her out please tell me what is wrong with my dog. i thought cushings then a dog breeder told me thyrroid please help for naturaul
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Based on Keesha's age and signs, both Cushing's disease and Hypothyroidism could cause the signs we are seeing. As well, we can see some of these signs associated with liver issues, kidney disease, diabetes, and even some tumors (often those that affect blood calcium levels). Though with all of these in mind and assuming all her signs are related to a single condition, Cushing's disease is would be our primary suspect here. Of course, since hormonal diseases do need to be diagnosed definitively and treated delicately (since over suppressing an over active gland can cause issues itself). So, we would need to consider having her tested at this stage. A general geriatric blood screen can check her organ function and give clues if Cushing's disease is suspect. If it is, then a second blood test can be undertaken to diagnose the condition +/- rule out thyroid issues.From there, if her thyroid was the problem there are natural treatments (desiccated thyroid based tablets). Cushing's is trickier since it does tend to need medical management with prescription medication. Though if you were inclined to treat naturally, you can read some suggestions on how to do so HERE.Overall, you have both hit on 2 differentials that could cause her signs. Though they are not the only ones. Cushing's would be the top suspect here with how common it is, but definitive diagnosis is always necessary in these hormonal conditions to make sure we treat them correctly and effectively to get them settled. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )