petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog she is 7 she has been fighting something it started

Customer Question

My dog she is 7 she has been fighting something it started about 7months ago we have taken her to vet first ear infection right side then she was sneezing and coughing and blood comes so take to vet gives her a steroid she gets very hungry and okay not all the way but better 2 months later again blood sneezing won t eat acts like in pain and her eye leaking and Putin head in corner hiding took to vet she is giving antibiotics for right nose and right eye saive it helps week later her Stevie swelling up and she is like on deaths door they want to do ultrasound stay is $126 and the ultrasound is way to expensive so they give her a antibiotic shoot that is a super shot $389 week later it all happens again we r scared and thinking that she has a tumor behind her eye and it is leaking or popped and her system is infected she is miserable then happy next day then miserable and just so by no she is been I think miserable for about 2 weeks and I don't t want to lose her but I already spent so much and I can t afford it so I just need to find a solution quickly so if I can save her I won t spend everything just to figure it out then not to be able to pay to save her is my worst fear please help if u can Dubey is her name she is a Border Collie she is beautiful Thank u
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance. From your description, I am very suspicious of a tumor behind the eye as well. A mass in the skull can lead to swelling, inflammation, infection and even bleeding as you have seen. It is possible, but not likely that it is just infection, but even if so, she is not responding to the antibiotics. This can be a hard area to treat as the tissue is encased in the skull if it is behind the eye. Unfortunately, you will not get a diagnosis without more advanced imaging like ultrasound or CT scan, but even then, treating with oral medications is probably not going to do much. If there is a mass or tumor the prognosis is not good and likely not operable. Your best course of action if you can't proceed with further diagnostics is ask your vet to prescribe more steroids. Steroids may be able to offer some palliative care and improve her symptoms for a while if they help to decrease the inflammation, but at some point, as her quality of life decreases, you will likely have to consider humane euthanasia.I am sorry, but this sounds like a serious problem, likely without a pleasant outcome. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz